IELTS, International English Language Testing System is an English language competence test that has international recognition. More than a hundred countries and hundreds of universities and institutions accept and recognize the test. If you have a wish to migrate or work in a country where English is the native language, then you might be required to get testes. The test generally assesses listening, writing, reading and even speaking abilities of the English language.
For those who wish to migrate for work then general training module is what they get but for those wishing to take a course in English the academic module what will be used. Just like any other test, you really want to pass your IELTS. Simply put, you are as ready for the exams as you have prepared. Never assume that you will have an easy time with the test no matter how much you think you are familiar with the language. Below are some helpful tips that can make your exam a success.
1. Make a personal effort to improve on your English language proficiency. Allocate enough time to make improvements using all resources possible like manuals and CDs that can help you understand the areas that are examined.
2. Make a habit of reading English magazines and newspapers and take time to even watch news channels and English movies. To boost your confidence levels make a point of speaking with people who are fluent in the language and be willing to learn.
3. If you know people who have actually taken and passed the test, seek advice regarding the trends and topics of the exam so you know which areas to focus more on. You can also use past papers and mock tests to get familiar and test how ready you really are for the actual exams. Make sure that you are aware of the current syllabus too, so as to avoid nasty surprises on the day of the exam.
4. Make sure you understand the test format of the IELTS exam. When you know the format, then you will know what to expect and you will have an easier time handling the content of every part of the test. You should also get familiar with the types of questions likely to be asked and know how to best answer them.
5. Buy OELTS self-study books and other related materials. There are also online preparation resources for the exam that you can use to your advantage so you are completely ready by the time the exam day comes.
6. Confirm the start time of the test and the exact location the test will take place a week before. It is also very important to make sure that you know your way to the location so you avoid wasting time on the day of the test. Never assume that you will take the test where you booked for it; the address can be at a very different location so always make the point of confirming first.